Friday, March 28, 2014

"I know the truth so don't bother me with facts"

          Ever ended a relationship because you heard,your significant other was talking to someone else?Never played the lottery because you heard it was a scam?Or maybe you stopped eating a particular food because your friend said it would make you bald before you hit 30?If yes,It means you probably believed a lie or rumor told to you by a friend,family member,or possibly a complete stranger you sprung up a conversation with,As you went about your day.When someone makes a strong point over a topic of discussion.It leaves us with a lasting impression.We don't need to search for facts,What for?When we are presented with such a convincing proposition.We have already chosen which side to represent.[here you have a series of sentence fragments; they make it hard for the reader to figure out what ideas go with which ones]. I recently read an interesting article written by Jeffery Kruger,called "I know the truth so don't bother me with facts.In the article Mr Kluger addresses how once humans believe a rumor or a lie.It is hard to change there point of view.Even when they are proven wrong.I agree,I cannot recall how many times I've believed a rumor or a lie been proven wrong and I still refuse to change my point of view.                                                                                                          
          In the article,the author mentions a study conducted by 2 assistant professors of communication at Ohio state university,In which they take in students who believe a rumor in regards to the proposed mosque to be build around ground zero,and set out to present the students with facts on the topic and see if they would change there view on the subject.The study had troubling results,In which out of all the students surveyed.Only 33 percent were willing to change there view.Which means the other 66 percent even after being shown facts to contradict the rumor,still wouldn't change there mind.The vast majority chose to stick with the rumor.
          In this paticular case the topic is all the negatives surrounding building a mosque around ground zero.Some of the negatives that I personally have heard throughout the years.Are Muslims took down the towers,It would be total disrespect to all those who perished to have the practicing religion of those responsible around the scene of such tragedy.Most people associate Islam,which is practiced by one billion peaceful people around the world with radical Islam,who interpret the Koran the wrong way,and influence and manipulate people to carry out hianuius acts like those that occurred on 9/11.I remember being in middle school a few days after it happened.I was in gym class sitting next to one of my friends and one of the students went up to him and said he was gonna beat him up because,he's people were responsible for 9/11.I remember my friend stating I'm Indian I nor my people had nothing to do with that.while other students separated the altercation.Bringing to light my own personal experience.A few years later in high school I was dating this girl for a few weeks.When one of my best friends stated she was talking to another guy.I Ended up ending the relationship on the rumor of my best friend."One thinks it's my best friend there's no way he would lie to me".Case and point turned out to be a lie.My friend ended up having a really bad crush on her.......I know something out of a tv show......right.
              Everyone believes lies or rumors for many different reasons.It can be someone's ego gets in the way,no one likes to be proven wrong or look bad in front of people.It could be fear,a lot of people are afraid of the truth and what it brings it could mean change,or a lot of other things.These are just a few examples but the reasons are vast.Society will continue this trend,as will I for the countless reasons. [something missing here] Next time I'm in a debate about something and I'm being hard headed and ignorant I ll be sure to say "I know the truth,so don't bother me with facts",with a smirk.[nice last line]
       

1 comment:

Doctor X said...

I like how you use questions to begin the essay. The claim is fine, but it leads you to crowd many examples into one paragraph rather than develop several reasons, each with one or more examples.

Importantly, this piece shows that one of your serious grammar issues is sentence fragments, so I would like you to do at least TWO exercises on fragments from "Writing and Grammar Links" on the Brave New World blog: http://bravenewworld099.blogspot.com/p/online-communities.html

Another, less important issue, is confusing "there" with "their" etc. There is one exercise on "Writing /Grammar Links" to help you with this issue. I want you to try that exercise also.