Monday, May 12, 2014

Mindless Eating

                    In “XXXL: Why are we so fat?,” Elizbeth Kolbert states in her “Book4: Mindless Eating” that people don't know how much they want to eat, they are more rely on external cues and want big portion size, and only want to stop when someone tell to do so. The Cornell University's Food and Brand Lab of director Brain Wansink is testing about people's eating behavior in every circumstances. He does two experiments to test on his students, and he finds out that when students get more popcorn they eat more. Even though that popcorn does not have standard food quality, they still had eaten more than average. On the other experiment, the researcher provides more food without noticing to students than they have being served. In addition, he encourages to students as writing phrases as “ate and ate and ate.” on the bowl which he serve for them. At last the final conclusion for his research is students eat a lot when they are given a lot.
It is really hard to control our eating habit when it once rooted inside us.
Our habits make us to get bigger portion of food even we are full, and we know that junk food can make us obesity, we are still eating them.
I don't want to stop eating when I get plenty of food. I have been in that kinds of situation a lot. Among them, I just remembered about my trip to Singapore last year.At that time my friend who lives there treated me for lunch, so, he brought me to Buffet restaurant and it cost about S$30 each person. They provided variety of foods including sushi, salmon, fried shrimp, fried chicken, crabs and so on. They allowed only 3hours for every customers to eat there. So, my friend and I started using our valuable time as soon as we can start to do so by picking up Fried fish, shrimp, and other food which we thought it was expensive. We could eat a lot and we didn't even believe in our ability to eat.
We didn't pause while we were eating. If nothing left on our table, we picked others food again, and used the whole 3 hours there.The researcher from the article mention statement is totally true to me that “Give them a lot and they eat a lot.” Even though I was full in last thirty minutes, I could still eat them. When my friends brought more fried shrimp, and put on the table, unbelievably, my hand was on the plates again.
Furthermore, I will accept when someone says that health is the most important thing than food in regular time, but when I am having a good taste of food even it is junk foods, I will respond as let talk about health issue after finishing my food. I usually fail to think about my health when I am eating food especially French-Fry.

No comments: